Friday, March 2, 2012

Seedlings Update

The tomato seedlings seem to be doing fine.  The stems seem to be reasonably thick, and the true leaves are appearing.  I think they are reasonably healthy.  As they get bigger, we will have to tie them to small stakes so they won't collapse.  We might use disposable chopsticks.


The chard and kale seedlings are however not so great.  The stems are very long and thin, and they don't seem able to support themselves as their leaves grow...this is called being "leggy".  I think this is because they were raised inside the school.  The school's temperature is quite warm and constant, while I think kale and chard like colder and more variable temperatures.  I have put the seedlings outside, and they seem to be coping with the colder temperatures so far.  We'll see...if they don't survive, we'll grow some more outside from seed.  Live and learn.





2 comments:

  1. This is good to know. Did you need anyone to go in the school to water the plants or is it all right to leave them be. I heard you took some home.
    Cheers, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave the plants in room 327 a good watering before I left. As long as the blinds have been kept open, they are probably ok. The only thing I can think of is that the pots should be rotated so the plants grow upright, and don't lean towards the Sun.

    ReplyDelete